Project Accountant – Toronto
Reports to: Director Property Accounting
The Project Accountant will be responsible for various projects within our commercial portfolio in Toronto. The incumbent will work closely with our project development and property management teams to monitor and process all project accounting details. The candidate will have an open mind with respect to solving problems and be a team player who communicates well and proactively.
- Work with the project managers on preparing month-end accruals and cost transfers
- Collect, reconcile, seek approval, and process all project-related subcontractor payments, general expenditures, , and all other financial transactions in a timely and accurate manner in order to meet all contract payment terms and verify against budgets;
- Participate in the preparation of project forecasts/ quarterly/annual business plans and budget
- Accurately reflect the financial status of projects by ensuring timely recording of all cost and revenue transactions;
- Reconcile actual and budget and provide updated projects status update to the property accountant
- Monitor CMI fee calculation and update the system with correct amounts
- Assist with the balance sheet reconciliation for projects only
- Assist with the audits – financial and internal control
- Work with project teams to resolve any issues related to coding and commitments;
- Review and monitor the issuance of Purchase Orders and tracking of same;
- Ensure project is set up and updated correctly, including capturing change orders and POs and consistent auditing of the file to ensure accuracy;
- Work closely with others to manage project-related PO, AP, and AR activity, including set up, WIP, and reconciliation;
- Prepare and analyze variances of costs and revenue;
- Work with the project team to ensure timely project reviews are performed and any financial issues related to earnings, cash-flow, and reporting are addressed;
- Provide support and oversight on a portfolio of projects with multiple project managers and/or take direct ownership over a single specific project (variable).
- Perform and support project-related control procedures;
- Maintain accurate and timely cash flow data, both current and forecasted as compared to projected cash flow assumed in the financial model;
- Prepare project-related financial reports;
Qualifications & Competencies:
- 3+ years’ experience as a Project/Construction/Development Accountant;
- fluent in English both verbal/written communication;
- Accurate Data entry an integral part of the role
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills;
- Detail-oriented and organized;
- A team player who works with multidisciplinary partners towards a collective goal;
- Able to multitask while managing deadlines and stakeholder expectations;
- Independent self-starter who is proactive and resourceful to seek solutions to dynamic issues.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Shawna Brothers, Manager, Talent Acquisition, National firstname.lastname@example.org.