Reporting to the Managing Director, Development, the Development Analyst will work closely with members of the Canderel MDC team and provide analytical support on a wide variety of assignments, focusing on in-depth financial and business analysis while providing customized market and feasibility reports across all commercial real estate asset classes, including retail, office, light industrial, hospitality and multifamily projects.
The position is ideal for an entrepreneurial candidate and will afford interaction in a strong team environment and collaboration with various industry professionals.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Provide analytical support on a wide variety of tasks including market research, review of business and property operating statements, cash flow modeling, property valuation, credit review, and preparation of submissions for investment committee and board approval
- Research demographic and market trend information along with rental supply and demand dynamics
- Conduct research, underwriting, and analyses of capital and development investment parameters including equity and debt and across multiple asset classes
- Perform lease analysis and net effective rent calculations
- Conduct analysis and estimates of land and property valuations by applying appropriate appraisal and financial methodologies
- Create pro-forma investment return analysis for development and new investments as well as hold/ sell and refinance assessments
- Assist with all aspects of the development process, including modeling and evaluation, sensitivity analysis, due-diligence review, preparation of authorization memos, and closings
- Analyze financial data by constructing Excel-based valuation models as well as create development models in the Argus platform
- Develop detailed written and graphical presentation materials along with presentation materials with input from team members
- Engage professionally with outside advisors and brokers
- Develop and maintain a research digital library
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree required in Finance or Real Estate, preferably MBA or CFA designation
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience in commercial real estate, investment banking, private equity or appraisal
- Excellent research skills with experience in producing analytical reports and financial reporting
- Strong quantitative skills, established critical thinking and analytical ability
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- A team player that can work in an entrepreneurial environment and balance changing priorities, meeting deadlines and take direction from multiple sources
- Self-motivated and proactive with an established track record of effectively completing tasks independently
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Expertise with Argus and extensive skill with Excel along with proficiency with other Microsoft Office applications
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to standards with a track record of actively checking for accuracy
Canderel MDC Development Management Inc. is a real estate development company responsible for the planning, design, marketing, leasing, and construction of Taza on behalf of the Tsuut’ina-Canderel Land Development Partnership. Taza is a large scale, multi-phase commercial development of three unique new villages that are situated within the Tsuut’ina Nation and form a border with southwest Calgary. The total build-out is anticipated to encompass 25 million square feet of retail, office, hospitality and mixed-use residential projects, and will be constructed over the next 25+ years.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager.