Director of Development
Position Summary and Objectives
Reporting to jointly to the Heads of the National Project and Development Services (PDS) Group and Regional VP of Western Canada, the candidate will work closely with the Canderel team and lead the day-to-day management of a variety of development projects from planning and financial structuring (feasibility, design and entitlements) to providing leadership during the construction process and closeout of land leases.
Responsibilities also include building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders and company officials, consultants, and contractors as well as an aptitude in understanding financial models. The candidate will also assist in the preparation of project reports, investment approval memorandums and presentations.
They will also have a strong understanding of the BC real estate market and have a strong network of contacts in the Metro Vancouver area, as the candidate will be required to assist in business development opportunities. These business development responsibilities will be to assist the VP of Western Canada to identify and secure potential development sites, assist in due diligence activities and tap into their local network to help assist the senior analyst in developing proper assumptions to help acquisitions. In addition, the candidate will be required to assist the Heads of the National PDS Group to identify and secure new third-party development management mandates and participate in the project bids as required.
The position is ideal for an entrepreneurial candidate and will afford interaction with senior management and collaboration with various industry professionals.
Projects / Development Related
- Participate and lead in the design and coordination process including planning, architectural and development standards, civil engineering, traffic engineering, geotechnical, environmental and landscape design
- Evaluate project consultants and proposals, scope determination, negotiate contracts and manage the consultant procurement process
- Lead and provide direction to primary consultants, reviewing and monitoring budgets and schedules and following up on action items
- Effectively control and monitor project costs using internal job cost reports
- Prepare with the help of senior analysts all financial models and pro-forma investment analysis for various components of development projects as required to ensure project objectives are being met
- Provide input and direction in the coordination and management of presentations and marketing collateral to support sales or rental initiatives and actively participate in promotional activities including attending industry conferences and events
- Lead all aspects of the development process, including modeling and evaluation, sensitivity analysis, due-diligence review, preparation of authorization memos, and closings and collaborate with internal and third-party teams to secure tenant mandates for all projects
- Maintain a strong understanding of local initiatives and trends related to development in the local market and general understanding of the regulatory environment (planning, transportation, environmental, building code, etc.) as it relates to current and potential projects
- Engage professionally with outside consultants, advisors, brokers and legal counsel and represent Canderel publicly, including participating in stakeholder meetings and relevant provincial and federal departments
- Coordinate research and assess viability of available federal or provincial grants or incentive programs that may benefit development projects
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures
- Business Development:
- Assisting the VP of Western Canada in identifying and securing potential development opportunities (new sites, existing real estate assets, etc.)
- When required, utilize connections and contacts to seek out potential development partners for the right developments
- Assisting the joint Heads of the National PDS Group to further expand third party project/ development management offering in Western Canada
- Lead the preparation of project bids / presentations / pitches
- Tracking of opportunities
- Prepare with the help of senior analysts and present investment summaries and briefs along with monthly, quarterly and ad hoc reports for active projects and ensure tracking to approved financial and timing expectations
- University degree required in real estate, business, architecture, urban planning or engineering or related field
- 7 or more years of management experience in real estate and land development including managing the planning, design, approval and construction phases
- Ideally, the candidate will have experience in working on complex mixed-use projects, with condominium and commercial components.
- Experience in building design, development strategies and approval processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of land use entitlements, superior quantitative skills, established critical thinking and strong analytical ability
- Experience in and around construction sites and the ability to read, understand and coordinate consultant drawings (architectural, landscape, mechanical, electrical, etc.) is an asset
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- A team player that can work in an entrepreneurial environment, and can balance changing priorities, meeting deadlines and can take direction from multiple sources
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and an excellent problem solver
- Self-motivated and proactive with an established track record of effectively completing tasks independently
- Understanding of development entitlements, property legislation, and approval processes as they pertain to the City of Vancouver and the Province of British Columbia
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications, and previous experience using MS Project and AutoCAD will be an asset
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to standards with a track record of actively checking for accuracy
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager.