Director, Project & Development Services
Reports to: Vice-President, Project & Development Services
We are seeking a cross-functional leader as Director, Project & Development Services (PDS) to join a highly dynamic team. Responsible for management of residential PDS team, and oversight of project planning and execution of mixed-use developments following successful acquisition of site/project.
- Direct management of project managers within the GTA residential portfolio;
- Overall project management of the residential/ mixed use project including management of the General Contractor/ Construction Manager, subcontractors, planners, engineers, architects, and other consultants;
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders such as the marketing department for preparation of sales launch; the investment group; leasing and executives;
- Set up project documentation for project launch (Property Management/Operations);
- Manage design, construction, and budget risks including creation of a risk mitigation strategy;
- Comply with all legal authorities having jurisdiction to secure all legal paperwork including SPA, building permits;
- Oversee the condominium registration process including liaising with various stakeholders including lawyers, surveyors, planners, and municipal authorities;
- Hold and chair regular project progress meetings (internal and external) during the design development phase and during construction;
- Produce regular reports and updates for project stakeholders;
- Review tender packages and contract documents as necessary; lead negotiations with trade contractors and consultants;
- Manage overall project closeout including document maintenance, deficiencies, and warranty work;
- Manage the administration of the Technical Audit obligations and Warranty issues; Other duties as required;
- Monitor political and other related policy changes in targeted Municipalities/Regions of focus to keep track of key changes that may impact the project(s) and the company’s business plan;
- Initiate and maintain relationships with key Councillors and some other City staff;
- Joint with Director of Development- Soliciting proposals from and negotiating contracts with a broad range of multi- disciplinary consultant teams. (Lead – dependent on consultant);
- Joint with Investments- Create development project overviews, schedules, budgets, project timelines/costs;
- Joint with Investments and marketing– Contribute to the overall direction of the project: maximize density, design direction, materiality, etc.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ relevant experience in management of residential development projects (asset: multi-family);
- Experience of managing an internal team and external stakeholders;
- Must have excellent communication skills, both in written and verbal. Be able to clearly articulate and convey concepts, ideas, and issues to team and management;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills with proven ability to coordinate cross-functional and remote teams;
- Must have strategic, “big picture” approach yet be able to get into details when necessary;
- Must have good business acumen and passion for real estate development;
- Be able to embrace innovation, think ‘outside the box’ and be solutions-oriented;
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, planning, construction management or equivalent experience; MBA or similar will be an asset;
- Project Management professional designation considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability or aptitude analyzing drawings for site, building, and suite plans;
- Excellent comprehension of building drawings, codes, and site specifications;
- Refined analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Resilient to thrive under stress and pressure to meet deadlines.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager email@example.com.