Director, Property Accounting
**This role may be based in Montreal OR Toronto**
Reports to: VP Property Accounting
The ideal candidate will be a designated accountant and be proactive, self-motivated and possess high attention to detail while still being able to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. This position requires a team player who will be able to assist multiple project managers and staff on a daily basis while identifying opportunities to improve overall efficiency.
- Month-end and quarter-end
closing and reporting
- Responsible for the monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting requirements of the various stakeholders, including cash distributions, financial results and forecasts;
- Provide leadership and strong mentorship to other members of the property accounting team through timely review and feedback of monthly work;
- Participating in the monthly property close documentation package ensuring controls are operating effectively throughout the year. Any deficiencies are communicated to the VP Property Accounting and dealt with in a timely and methodical manner;
- Ensure timely preparation of cost statement and tenant billings according to standard lease provisions and department goals;
- Financial Reporting and Audits
- Act as the primary liaison between external auditors and the accounting team;
- Coordinate year-end audits for common area costs;
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of the property financial statements and audit supporting documents;
- Track audit progress and communicate issues or delays to the VP Property Accounting;
- Offer guidance and assistance to the accounting team on audit deliverables whenever necessary;
- Ensure the property budget and forecast responsibilities of property accountants and budget analysts are on time and accurately executed; coordinate with the sites and other departments as necessary;
- Work with Property Management, Accounting and Budget Analysts in preparing the annual property budgets, forecasts, and long-term strategic plans;
- Fulfill ad-hoc financial analysis from Property Management, Corporate Accounting and/or Clients;
- Assist or take a leadership role where necessary on any special projects or transactions in the year;
- Ensure acquisition and disposal of properties are timely and properly and accurately reported; prepare a statement of adjustments as necessary;
- Identify and take advantage of opportunities for improvement in accounting and financial reporting;
- Direct supervision of a team comprised of Property Accountants on all of their responsibilities, training, development and performance review.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- A professional accounting designation (CPA) is preferred;
- University Degree in an accounting related field of study;
- 5 to 10 years of property accounting experience with at least 3 years in management;
- Strong People Skills – a team player with a proven ability to build a relationship at all levels of an organization; mature, outgoing and diplomatic with people;
- Extensive experience and knowledge in dealing with accounting systems, budgets, internal controls, business planning, and asset management;
- Excellent Interpersonal and Communication Skills – demonstrated in written and verbal reports, presentations, and meeting facilitation;
- Deliver on Commitments – ability to set clear objectives and deliverable goals;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines;
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability;
- Exceptional computer skills including proficiency in MS Office applications;
- Sounds systems knowledge – experience with MRI and Yardi an asset;
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager.