Project Accountant – Calgary
Reports to: Director, Accounting
This role will work closely with members of the Taza Development Corp management team and provide analytical and administrative support on a wide variety of assignments, focusing on accounting administrative duties and contract management.
This role provides an opportunity to build your accounting skills, enhance your technological skillset and find creative and resourceful ways to solve problems. As Project Accountant, you will get the chance to record and analyze financial information, including managing contracts, change orders and purchase orders (POs) while responding to vendor inquiries related to construction activities.
- Process invoices in a timely manner after obtaining the proper approval and investigate any PO, contract or change order discrepancies;
- Ensure proper coding of construction invoices and lien releases for contractor and vendor invoices; communicate with PM’s about billing discrepancies;
- Maintain contract documents including records of lien releases in the appropriate files;
- Effectively communicate with project managers or construction managers regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals and any additional services related to payables;
- Handle supplier inquiries in a timely manner and perform account reconciliation as required;
- Verify and process employee expense reports;
- Set up projects (jobs), budgets, job costs, cost codes, contracts, change orders, purchase orders, and run various construction reports;
- Prepare/gather materials related to construction for internal and external auditors;
- Assisting in month end, along with ad-hoc requests and projects as assigned .
Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/ commerce or related field required;
- Working towards an accounting designation would be considered an asset;
- 1-2 years of experience, preferably in Construction or Project Accounting;
- Tsuut’ina citizens and Indigenous candidates are encouraged to apply ;
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel, Word, and other Microsoft Office programs; knowledge of MRI or Avid is considered an asset;
- Strong quantitative skills, established critical thinking and analytical ability;
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills;
- A team player that can work in an entrepreneurial environment and balance changing priorities, meeting deadlines and take direction from multiple sources;
- Self-motivated and proactive with an established track record of effectively completing tasks independently;
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills;
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to standards with a track record of actively checking for accuracy;
- Preference will be given to those who have experience and can demonstrate an understanding of First Nations culture and practices.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager email@example.com.