Reports To: Director, Property Accounting
The Property Accountant is responsible for the day to day accounting tasks and duties related to the assigned portfolio, project, building, etc. Reporting to the Director, Property Accounting, the accountant will undertake all aspects of financial management, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation following the company’s internal control policies and procedures. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with real estate development and operations, have strong quantitative skills, and will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger postings, and bank reconciliation;
- Assist in month-end reporting procedures;
- Review and monitor accounts receivable. Reconcile accounts receivable accounts when required. Prepare accurate tenant chargebacks on a timely basis;
- Process accounts payable: check, verify and code invoices in AVID, and batch invoices for payment;
- Reconcile QST/GST/HST and other legislated taxes and assessments;
- Reconcile portion of balance sheet and income statement accounts;
- Review and post monthly rent roll;
- Ensure all accounting records related to all properties are kept up to date within guidelines established by the company and/or its owners;
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and forecasts;
- Assist with the preparation and review of accounting/lease processes and procedures and recommend changes as appropriate to improve internal controls and efficiencies;
- Assist with the preparation for any audits or independent reviews in support of the auditors;
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in accounting/commerce or related field required;
- Professional Accounting designation or working towards designation, an asset;
- 1+ year of experience in property accounting;
- Relationship Skills – Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written in English and French (an asset); ability to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships; team player;
- Organizational/Multi-Task Skills – Ability to allocate time effectively, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines; ability to handle multiple demands, competing priorities, ability to work at a detailed level; willingness to learn in a dynamic environment that includes new ideas and change;
- Computer Skills – intermediate to advanced skills in Excel, Word, and other Microsoft Office programs; knowledge of MRI an asset.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.