Property Accountant – Edmonton
Reports to: Accounting Manager
The Property Accountant is responsible for the day to day accounting tasks and duties related to the assigned portfolio, project, building, etc. Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the accountant will undertake all aspects of financial management, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation following the company’s internal control policies and procedures. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with real estate property management and operations, have strong quantitative skills, and will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Responsible for full accounting cycle, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash flow, and bank reconciliation;
- Ensure all monthly financial and management reporting required for management, is delivered accurately and on a timely basis;
- Ensure all accounting records related to all properties are kept up to date within guidelines established by the company and/or its owners;
- Ensure all QST/GST/HST and other legislated taxes and assessments are reconciled and remitted on a timely basis;
- Reconcile and maintain a full understanding of all balance sheet and income statement accounts and prepare a detailed variance analysis of revenue and expenses;
- Monitor cash flows positions with special attention to monthly mortgage payments, payroll billings, management fees, property taxes, QST/GST/HST remittances, capital and leasing costs, and any other major monthly expenditure;
- Anticipate future cash deficiencies and arrange for funding (cash management).
- Determine surplus funds for distributions to owners;
- Review and post monthly rent roll;
- Review and monitor accounts receivable. Reconcile accounts receivable accounts when required. Prepare accurate tenant chargebacks on a timely basis;
- Prepare and record operating costs and realty tax adjustments monthly;
- Complete tenant additional rent calculation (based on lease type) for annual budget and calculate year-end reconciliations;
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and forecasts;
- Assist with the preparation and review of accounting/lease processes and procedures and recommend changes as appropriate to improve internal controls and efficiencies;
- Assist with the preparation for any audits or independent reviews in support of the auditors;
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/commerce or related field required;
- Accounting designation or working towards a designation an asset;
- 3+ years of experience in property accounting;
- Relationship Skills – Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written in English; ability to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships; team player;
- Organizational/Multi-Task Skills – Ability to allocate time effectively, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines;
- Ability to handle multiple demands, competing priorities, ability to work at a detailed level; willingness to learn in a dynamic environment that includes new ideas and change;
- Computer Skills – intermediate to advanced skills in Excel, Word, and other Microsoft Office programs; knowledge of MRI or Yardi an asset.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Shawna Brothers, Manager, Talent Acquisition, National firstname.lastname@example.org.