Senior Director, Project & Development Services
Reports to: Vice-President, Project & Development Services
We are seeking a Senior Director, Project & Development Services (PDS) to join a highly dynamic team. Responsible for leading the PDS team in Toronto (both commercial and residential), the Senior Director, PDS is responsible for the oversight of planning and execution of commercial, mixed-use and residential projects.
- Lead a team of project managers responsible for the overall management of commercial, residential/ mixed use construction projects including management of the General Contractor/ Construction Manager, subcontractors, planners, engineers, architects, and other consultants;
- Ensure expectations are met or exceeded on all projects and that Canderel and clients’ best interests are represented with respect to contractual and technical issues;
- Collaborate from inception to delivery with internal stakeholders such as the marketing, investment & development, leasing and property management teams;
- Apply leadership and communication skills to bring together stakeholders and project teams;
- Contribute to the adoption of strong project management practices through mentorship, project management framework development and training opportunities;
- Peer review the work of, mentor and develop project managers and other support staff.
- Hold and chair regular project progress meetings (internal and external) during the design development phase and during construction;
- Manage design, construction, and budget risks including creation of a risk mitigation strategy;
- Lead value engineering exploration and creatively solve problems;
- Ensure quality of tender packages and contract documents and, whenever required, lead negotiations with trade contractors and consultants;
- Ensure compliance with all legal authorities having jurisdiction to secure all legal paperwork including building permits;
- Report on project status by means of progress reports, meeting minutes, and other reports to various key stakeholders.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, planning, construction management or equivalent experience; MBA or similar will be an asset;
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years’ relevant experience in management of residential development projects;
- Experience in leading and managing a team and external stakeholders;
- Must have excellent communication skills, both in written and verbal form. Be able to clearly articulate and convey concepts, ideas, and issues to team and management;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills with proven ability to coordinate cross-functional and remote teams;
- Must have strategic, “big picture” approach yet be able to get into details when necessary;
- Must have good business acumen and passion for real estate development;
- Be able to embrace innovation, think ‘outside the box’ and be solutions-oriented;
- Project Management professional designation considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability or aptitude analyzing drawings for site, building, and suite plans;
- Excellent comprehension of building drawings, codes, and site specifications;
- Refined analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Resilient to thrive under stress and pressure to meet deadlines.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Jeff Farrell, Talent Acquisition Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.