Project Manager – Toronto
Director, Project & Development Services
The Project Manager will report to and work closely with the Director leadership in the Canderel Toronto office. The Manager will liaise with external construction personnel to ensure project construction is executed in a timely and efficient manner while maintaining integrity of design, and will lead a team of consultants to ensure financial feasibility and costing of projects. The Manager is expected to have an open mind with respect to solving problems and come prepared with recommendations to the senior management team. The Manager will provide supervision of consultants during various stages of design, development and construction.
- Plan, organize, direct, and manage all facets of residential and mixed use development projects and ensure pre-established costs, schedule and scope objectives are achieved
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders such as Investments, Marketing and Leasing, and external stakeholders such as partners, consultants, Construction Manager, building trades, building department and municipal staff
- Manage RFP and procurement processes in support of project development and implementation as necessary; including but not limited to Construction Manager, project team consultants required
- Effectively develop a project-specific protocol for project information communication (internal and external stakeholders; partners, consultants, subcontractors)
- Manage and oversee the Construction Manager, subcontractors, planners, engineers, architects and other consultants during development, construction, close-out phases
- Lead consultant design development and construction progress site meetings, ensuring schedule maintained in all phases of the project; monitor productivity rates and planned vs. actuals
- Create and monitor risk mitigation and management processes on projects, including identifying, assessing, monitoring and tracking risks and resolving issues
- Manage and constantly monitor pre-construction schedule, baseline construction schedule, procurement schedule, commissioning schedule in conjunction with Construction Manager, identifying and driving critical path activities in all instances
- Set-up project-specific Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures and ensure adherence to Canderel standards
- Manage and oversee; document preparation for the City, document tracking, reviewing, securing clearances, permits, approvals and tenders
- Identify progressive sustainability initiatives and building efficiency programs
- Manage and constantly monitor baseline construction budget ensuring financial viability and practicality in conjunction with Construction Manager. Understand and communicate budgetary changes, providing experienced and insightful communication to internal and external stakeholders
- Review and qualify subcontractor pricing against project budget, ensure accuracy of pricing including proper consideration of tender scope of work
- Manage effective scheduling and preparedness for Occupancy, establish contingency plans with Construction Manager, and manage internal and external stakeholders expectations/requests
- Manage the administration of the Technical Audit obligations and Warranty issues overall project closeout including document maintenance, deficiencies and warranty work
- Lead the condominium registration process including liaising with various stakeholders including lawyers, surveyors, planners and municipal authorities
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Construction, Building Technology Diploma or Engineering Degree
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in local construction/development industry, including large multi-residential unit, mixed-use condominium work
- Strong knowledge of all construction trades, techniques, contractors and consultants
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, field drawings and plans
- Ability to run an effective and complete site orientation; project management experience in the area of large scale construction projects, procedures and health and safety
- Ability to proactively identify technical challenges and solutions to the project structure and envelope
- Understand obligations and meet requirements of all Occupational Health & Safety, MOECC, Building Code and local by-laws, Provincial Regulatory Authorities, municipal and provincial mandates including roles and responsibilities and key contacts
- Understand Prime Contract Requirements; notice periods, entitlements, supplementary conditions, Lien Act, types of CCDC contract templates, local laws and contractual commitments
- Understand of the negotiated project agreement and the specific project requirements
- Knowledge of construction insurance/bonding policy and coverage types, contract specific requirements, process for setting-up coverage, etc.
- Demonstrate strong communication abilities, both oral and written
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in written form, with all team members including laborers, technical, professional and senior management
- Proficiency with MS Office; Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, etc.
Canderel is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce drives innovation and makes our company stronger. We are committed to fostering a safe and positive environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs.
We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants to join our team as we continue to grow and build a strong and varied workforce reflective of today’s diverse world. Should you need accommodation during the application process, please contact Shawna Brothers, Manager, Talent Acquisition, National email@example.com.